List of features
The following list presents Butterfly features.
We are constantly adding new features to Butterfly, so the list is not exhaustive but highlights
the most significant front-end and back-end Butterfly features for general, every day use.
- Intuitive and user-friendly UI for all operations.
- Fully web-based.
- Build with cutting-edge web technologies, such as AJAX/JSON, HTML 5 and CSS3.
- Support for all modern web browsers.
- Consistent display in mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
- Fedora-commons digital repository.
- MySQL database.
- MongoDB document database.
- Butterfly Simple XML, a lightweight XML encoding schema.
- Custom data-sources upon request.
- Support for well-established image formats: TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, etc.
- Support for FLV video in the front-end and any type of video in the back-end.
- Support for PDF, DOC, DOCX, and ODT. Full-text indexing of these types of documents.
- Support for MP3 audio in the front-end and any type of audio in the back-end.
- Organize your items in collection/sub-collection hierarchies. With unlimited depth.
- Link items from different collections with each other.
- Re-organize and re-arrange your
items at any time. Add new collections, move items between collections,
cancel and update links, etc
- Tree-view display of your collections.
- Multi-faceted browsing of the collection items.
- Customizable pagination of collection items.
- Support for different sorting options per collection.
- Customizable short-views (e.g., thumbnail and title) and full-views (e.g., full-fledged photo and properties) for all items.
- Dynamic waterkarks in images.
- Dynamic image zooming.
- Page-flip display of books and similar items.
- Video and audio embedding.
- Integration with social networks like Facebook or Twitter.
- Support for simple and advanced searches.
- Simple search: free-text search.
- Advanced search: field-based search.
- Limit search results by date, by collection or by item type.
- Support for stored/saved searches.
- Export search results.
- Support for Dublin Core (DC) as well as custom DC qualifications.
- Support for Metadata Object Description Schema (MODS).
- Support for Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard (METS) in data-export.
- Support for fully-custom, user-definable metadata.
- Support for multiple metadata schemes per data item.
- Support for metadata mappings.
- Automplete for text boxes.
- Thesauri fields (with drop-down select box or autocomplete text box).
- Calendars for dates.
- Fully multi-lingual (2 or more languages).
Authentication, Authorization and User Management
- SSL support.
- LDAP support for authentication.
- IP-based authorization.
- Encrypted passwords.
- Fine-grained permissions per file, per item, per collection.
- Access-control lists and role-based authorization.
Interoperability and Programmability
- Web Services: RESTful Application Programming Interface (API).
- Support for Open Archives Protocal for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH).
- Support for Europeana Semantic Elements (ESE).